Woo! Fall and Winter Mix! A lot of songs that build to magnificence on this one, including “Hello”, “Devil’s Whisper” and “Seven Hours”. And new Joanna Newsom, yes! I always learn new words when I listen to her.
Let’s see, if you listen to one song, it should definitely be Adele, but as most of the planet has listened to that song, my second choice would be “Male Gaze.” Wait…no, it would be “Sitcom.” Actually, no “Magnets.” STOP MAKING ME CHOOSE. Ok, ok, final answer…..”Devil’s Whisper.” B/c it’s different and awesome.
Baa Mix 85:
- Adele: Hello (or, Hallo, as she so charmingly croons it. If you haven’t seen it, WHAT ARE YOU DOING.)
- Borns: American Money (lyrics are a little basic, but it’s smooooth).
- Borns: The Emotion (oh the angst.)
- The Zolas: Male Gaze (The Zolas can do no wrong, imho)
- Raury: Friends (this video looks like it was a blast to make)
- Raury: Devil’s Whisper (OMG when that bass kicks in at 2:23, holy wow.)
- Wolf Alice: Moaning Lisa Smile (Video is awesome)
- Firekid: Magic Mountain (Is he talking about the theme park? That’s what I think of…)
- Forest Blakk: Love Me (Love Me) (Couldn’t find this one on youtube either, or soundcloud, but I promise it’s good. Not my usual jam, but it spoke very powerfully to one of the characters in TORCH. Reminds me a lot of “Reverse” by SomeKindaWonderful)
- Baio: Sister of Pearl (This original vid is so awkward that I put in the KCRW live version, which is quite stunning in its own right.)
- Joanna Newsom: Leaving the City
- Nothing But Thieves: Wake Up Call (The hook on this is surprising compared to the rest of the song and I love it.)
- Seinabo Sey: Younger (Kygo Remix) Though the original is great too.
- FFS: Police Encounters (This band is just so fun)
- Coleman Hell: Sitcom (couldn’t find a vid or soundcloud for this one, but trust me, it’s good.)
- Jack’s Mannequin: My Racing Thoughts
- LCD Soundsytem: I Can Change (This is an old favorite. Weird, yet strangely compelling)
- Blondfire: Pleasure
- Little May: Seven Hours. (Builds to an incredible ending.)
- Disclosure ft. Lorde: Magnets
Dear Brown Kids,
Hey. I’m a brown kid too. Or I was. I grew up eventually.
God, this sucks, doesn’t it? It’s AAAA and GRR and WHY when you see something bad happen to a kid who looks like you, like what happened to Ahmed in Texas. (story here) It’s even worse when you fear that you’re just one misconstrued action away from something similar happening to you.
I want to tell you something. The Thing I’m telling you is based off of this song I listen to when I’m down. It’s not a complicated song. Joey Ramone wrote it. It’s a variation on something I said to myself over and over again when I was a kid.
“I got knocked down, but I’ll get up.”
A lot of people are saying that this type of racist, hatred-driven incident can destroy you guys. That it can make you question yourself forever. That it will crush you. And you know what, that’s true. I’m not going to pretend it’s not. (And trust me, as a kid who grew up in a racist-ass desert town, I’d know). You will be different because of it. You will be forever changed. You’ll carry it with you. Sometimes, it will be the thing you remember in your worst moments.
You will be stronger. You will get back up. You will prove them wrong. You will show them hope. You will show them intelligence. You will show them strength. You will be an inventor, an engineer, a doctor, a soldier. You will be a comic book editor, a parent, a writer, a lawmaker, a judge. You will be a defender of justice who actually knows what the hell justice is. You will a badass. You will be a superhero. You will rise above the people trying to drag you down. You will bust through the boxes they try to put you in. You will. YOU MUST.
I know it. I’ve seen it happen over and over and over again. Please don’t let yourself get crushed. Don’t LET them keep you down. Screw the hateful, racist fools of the world. They are nothing. They will always BE nothing. Prove them wrong. Get back up.
Here’s the reveal for the OFFICIAL title for AN EMBER IN THE ASHES 2, given to us by the wonderful book tubers PolandBananas and Tashapolis!