Dear Brown Kids,
Hey. I’m a brown kid too. Or I was. I grew up eventually.
God, this sucks, doesn’t it? It’s AAAA and GRR and WHY when you see something bad happen to a kid who looks like you, like what happened to Ahmed in Texas. (story here) It’s even worse when you fear that you’re just one misconstrued action away from something similar happening to you.
I want to tell you something. The Thing I’m telling you is based off of this song I listen to when I’m down. It’s not a complicated song. Joey Ramone wrote it. It’s a variation on something I said to myself over and over again when I was a kid.
“I got knocked down, but I’ll get up.”
A lot of people are saying that this type of racist, hatred-driven incident can destroy you guys. That it can make you question yourself forever. That it will crush you. And you know what, that’s true. I’m not going to pretend it’s not. (And trust me, as a kid who grew up in a racist-ass desert town, I’d know). You will be different because of it. You will be forever changed. You’ll carry it with you. Sometimes, it will be the thing you remember in your worst moments.
You will be stronger. You will get back up. You will prove them wrong. You will show them hope. You will show them intelligence. You will show them strength. You will be an inventor, an engineer, a doctor, a soldier. You will be a comic book editor, a parent, a writer, a lawmaker, a judge. You will be a defender of justice who actually knows what the hell justice is. You will a badass. You will be a superhero. You will rise above the people trying to drag you down. You will bust through the boxes they try to put you in. You will. YOU MUST.
I know it. I’ve seen it happen over and over and over again. Please don’t let yourself get crushed. Don’t LET them keep you down. Screw the hateful, racist fools of the world. They are nothing. They will always BE nothing. Prove them wrong. Get back up.
Here’s the reveal for the OFFICIAL title for AN EMBER IN THE ASHES 2, given to us by the wonderful book tubers PolandBananas and Tashapolis!
Baa Mix 83: Summer 2015
I couldn’t sleep last night, so then this happened. No hip-hop on this one, I’m sad to say, but lots of very scrumptious indie, and, of course, a little Taylor on the side. I might have added some commentary this time.
Every mix has one song you MUST LISTEN TO. This time it’s This Wild Life’s cover of “Sleepwalking,” which is phenomenal, esp. if you know and love the original.
Fav line from The Zolas (as usual): So tired of being told to keep polite, this is called being alive.
- The Zolas: Molotov Girls (I’m obsessed with this one.)
- Bring Me the Horizon: Sleepwalking (see next.)
- This Wild Life: Sleepwalking (cover of the BMTH version. Love the original, but holy cats this one is beautiful.)
- Painted Palms: Disintegrate (if you don’t at least tap your feed to that bass, then you must not have a pulse.)
- Painted Palms: Gemini
- Twenty One Pilots: Stressed Out (Oh adulthood. You are here, and I don’t like you.)
- Girlpool: Ideal World
- Born Cages: Don’t Look Back
- The Karma Killers: My Killer Queen (angst.)
- Sundara Karma: Flame (album cover is so creepy. song is great.)
- Pretty City: Melt (LOVE this one.)
- FFS: Johnny Delusional (this song is hilarious but also really sad. every time i hear the ‘paging johnny delusional’ part, i start cracking up.)
- FFS: Piss Off (my husband’s theme song for me as I write book 2)
- Tove Lo: Like Em Young (Get it, Tove Lo.)
- BØRNS: Electric Love (This one is so addictive and fun—you’ll find yourself dancing. Video is whatever.)
- San Fermin: Jackrabbit
- Passion Pit: Until We Can’t (Let’s Go)
- All Time Low: Satellite
- Matt and Kim: Can You Blame Me (there’s a long speech at the beginning of this video, but video itself is worth it.)
- Mumford and Sons: The Wolf (Still like their older stuff better, but this isn’t terrible.)
- Hozier: Work Song (Been wanting to work this onto a mix for like, a year. Finally shoved it onto this one. Also, possibly one of my favorite videos ever.)
- Taylor Swift: Bad Blood (If you don’t like this song, you are lame. It’s KENDRICK LAMAR AND TAYLOR SWIFT, FOR GOD’S SAKE.)