Introducing Debut Author Evelyn Skye
Welcome back, readers! I hope you all had a wonderful Memorial Day! As May comes to a close, I’d like to introduce our author of the month, Evelyn Skye ! Evelyn’s novel, The Crown’s Game, was released on May 17 and debuted on the New York Time bestsellers list! Find a copy of this amazing novel here.
For those of you just joining, I’ve been hosting a 2016 Debut Author Series, where I post short, Proust-inspired questionnaires with a 2016 debut author every month. And so, without further ado…
- What character trait would you thieve from someone else (and who from)
Etienne St. Clair’s charm (Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins)
- What’s the last lie you told?
A guy asked me out and I pretended I was interested, but really I just wanted to listen to his Russian accent for a while.
- If you could punch one person on the planet with absolutely no repercussions, who would it be?
Heh heh heh… Um, no comment.
- What possession do you consider your “precious”? So, something you’d fight to the death for on the slopes of Mt. Doom.
My daughter. I know she’s not a “thing,” but there is nothing that comes even close to what I would be willing to do for her.
- Best one line writing advice you’ve ever gotten?
Keep on writing!
- What book do you wish you’d written?
I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
- You can only listen to one song for the rest of your life. What is it?
“All I Ask of You” from Phantom of the Opera
- You magically obtain the ability to cast one and only one spell from the Harry Potter universe—but you can cast it as much as you like. Which one is it?
Portus – it turns objects into port keys! How amazing would it be go wherever you wanted, whenever you wanted, without having to deal with traffic or airport security? (And now everyone knows what a practical-minded nerd I am, that this is the spell I chose…)
- With only your wit and an oft-malfunctioning magic wand, you are forced into a death match with either Shelob, the enormous spider from Lord of the Rings, or Voldemort. Who do you choose?
Oh, good lord, Voldemort, because I’m going to die either way, and I am terrified of spiders! Also, I’m not important enough to Voldemort for him to torture me, and being killed instantaneously by Avada Kedavra is infinitely preferable to the long, painful death that Shelob would mete out.
And now I’m going to have nightmares… thanks a lot, Sabaa.
- Describe your debut novel in one sentence:
Star-crossed lovers battle in an alternate, magical version of Imperial Russia.
Thanks, Evelyn, for participating in this interviews series! And readers, check back in just a couple of weeks for our next interview of the series!