Introducing Debut Author Traci Chee
Welcome readers to our newest edition to the Debut Author Series! I hope you guys are all enjoying the first couple days of fall. I would like to introduce Debut Author and New York Times bestseller Traci Chee, whose novel, The Reader, was released on September 13th, 2016, to great success. You can check it out here!
- What character trait would you thieve from someone else (and who from)? I’d love to be able to let things go more easily. I have this terrible tendency to stew in negative things when they crop up, even though I know—I know—it’s so bad for me. And I’d steal it from my friend Vinh. Then he’d be the uptight one and I would be super chill all the time!
- What’s the last lie you told? I’m actually pretty honest by default, so in situations where I’m put on the spot about something, I’m like a deer in headlights, all wide-eyed like, What?! I don’t know! Ahh!
- If you could punch one person on the planet with absolutely no repercussions, who would it be? Here’s the thing: If I punch someone, I want them to know why. I want them to change their ways! The best punches have repercussions. Otherwise, why bother? But if I had to punch one person on the planet with absolutely no repercussions, I’d probably punch a professional, title-holding MMA fighter. Because it wouldn’t hurt them. And I could say I did it.
- What possession do you consider your “precious”? So, something you’d fight to the death for on the slopes of Mt. Doom. My dog. Or any dog, probably, haha. Dogs are the best and I will probably fight you on this if you disagree with me.
- Best one line writing advice you’ve ever gotten? Stick to your guns.
- What book do you wish you’d written? House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.
- You can only listen to one song for the rest of your life. What is it? After like a month of thinking about this, I have to go with the Queen of the Night aria from The Magic Flute. It’s not a song you can listen to all the time, but it’s very versatile—silly, ragey, and exquisitely beautiful all at the same time.
- You magically obtain the ability to cast one and only one spell
rom the Harry Potter universe—but you can cast it as much as you like.
Which one is it? Apparition. Absolutely. Imagine how much of
the world you could see if you could apparate!
- With only your wit and an oft-malfunctioning magic wand, you are forced into a death match with either Shelob, the enormous spider from Lord of the Rings, or Voldemort. Who do you choose? VOLDEMORT ANY DAY. NO SPIDERS THANK YOU.
- Describe your debut novel in one sentence: When her only remaining relative is kidnapped, Sefia vows to save her—even if that means learning to read in a world where literacy is unheard of and sacrificing the boy she loves to the secret society that destroyed her family. Thanks Traci! Don’t forget to check in next month for the next debut author!
If you want to get to know Traci better, you can also check her out on her twitter and her website!