Introducing Debut Author Kerri Maniscalco
Welcome readers, it is time for our November edition of the Debut Authors
Series! This month I would like to introduce #1 New York Best Selling Author Kerri Maniscalco, whose novel, Stalking Jack The Ripper was released in October. You can check it out here!
- What character trait would you thieve from someone else (and who from)?
My grandma’s imagination/childlike sense of wonder. She always used to find magic in everyday things—streams were babbling brooks, and wild flowers were fairy rings—and I hope to always be able to find magic, too.
- What’s the last lie you told? I only keep the fiction and half-truths to my day job…oh wait, that was totally it 😀 (Seriously, though, I try very hard to keep things honest outside of my job. Sometimes I may be too honest.)
- If you could punch one person on the planet with absolutely no repercussions, who would it be? I can think of a political figure or two who I wouldn’t mind knocking out…
- What possession do you consider your “precious”? So, something you’d fight to the death for on the slopes of Mt. Doom.
A set of Nancy Drew books that my grandma bought for my mom when she was little. She’d saved pennies each month to slowly add to the collection, and they are worth everything to me because of how hard she worked to bring them into our lives.
- Best one line writing advice you’ve ever gotten?
Make every single word count; if it doesn’t add to the story or scene, kill it. Or Read two thousand, write two thousand. (My agent will be proud that one stuck.)
- What book do you wish you’d written?
Honestly? I love being able to fangirl over favorite books, so I’m happy I didn’t write them and can gobble them up. Recently, Caraval by Stephanie Garber is one of the most amazing books I’ve read. I’m also a huge fan of The Reader by Traci Chee, Done Dirt Cheap by Sarah Nicole Lemon and anything Renee Ahdieh writes is fantastic.
- I agree with all of those. Ok, so you can only listen to one song for the rest of your life. What is it?
WHY SO CRUEL, SABAA??? I used to write about music and I have so many favorites this is a special kind of torture…but…I’d have to say… either “Getting Better” by the Beatles, “God only knows” by the Beach Boys, or “Talk Show Host” by Radiohead, or “Magic” by Leagues… OR….CAN’T I BRING A CHARGER AND iPOD OR SOMETHING SO I CAN HAVE A PLAYLIST?!
- You magically obtain the ability to cast one and only one spell from the Harry Potter universe—but you can cast it as much as you like. Which one is it?
Ohhhh….Protego Horribilis. That way when I battle He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named I’ll have some protection against dark magic. Or maybe the spell to listen to more than one song for the rest of my life… *searches through HP spell book*
- With only your wit and an oft-malfunctioning magic wand, you are forced into a death match with either Shelob, the enormous spider from Lord of the Rings, or Voldemort. Who do you choose? When I see a spider my first instinct is to grab a gallon of gasoline and set the house ablaze. So…definitely Voldemort. I’d smack him in his missing nose with my wand if need be.
- Describe your debut novel in one sentence: Victorian-Era CSI where a scalpel-wielding lord’s daughter discovers that some buried secrets simply won’t stay dead.
Thanks Kerri! If you want to get to know Kerri better, you can also check her out on her twitter and on her website, listed below.