Introducing Debut Author Sandhya Menon
Welcome, welcome Emberlings, as the holiday season
approaches, it is time for our December Debut Author! In the spirit of the new year, I would like to introduce our very first 2017 debut, author Sandhya Menon, whose novel, When Dimple Met Rishi, is going to be released on May 30, 2017. You can preorder it here.
- You can transform into any animal at will—which one and why?
A leopard, because they’re fast and hang out in trees (I had a weird thing about climbing trees when I was a kid…yeah.)
- What’s the best lie you’ve ever told?
Back in high school, I told my husband (then best friend), “I kinda, sorta have feelings for you” when I was actually really, uncoolly in love with him (And also? Pretty sure I stole that line from Friends). Luckily, it worked out in my favor—we’ve been happily married fourteen years now. 🙂
- If you could punch one person on the planet with absolutely no repercussions, who would it be?
DONALD TRUMP AND ALL THE PEOPLE WHO VOTED FOR HIM. I know that’s more than one person, but I can use one gigantic punch.
- What’s the one thing you can’t write without? Meaning, you’d go to battle against an army of orcs if they tried to take this thing away from you?
Peace and quiet! I do have to battle orcs to get this sometimes…and by orcs I mean my family.
- Can you give the writers out there one line of writing advice?
Compare yourself only to “past you,” not to anyone else. It’ll keep you sane and help you see how far you’ve come.
- What’s your biggest fear going into your debut year?
- You can only listen to one band for the rest of your life. Who is it?
Not a band, but the Indian composer A.R. Rahman. SO MUCH TALENT.
- You must choose between possessing Sauron’s One Ring and the Elder Wand (hoping you’ve read LOTR and HP, here.) Which one do you choose and why?
The One Ring, but only if it comes with Gollum. Gollum=preciousssss. (Yes, I know he dies but I REFUSE TO BELIEVE.)
- With only your wit and an oft-malfunctioning magic wand, you are forced into a death match with either Shelob, the enormous spider from Lord of the Rings, or Voldemort. Who do you choose?
Voldemort. Big spiders are just never going to be on my list. Like, ever.
- A question in honor of Adam Silvera and Becky Alberalli, YA writers extraordinaire: Golden Oreos or Classic?
I mean, Becky’s my mentor, so you know… #teamclassicforevah I know where my loyalties lie.
- Describe your debut novel in one sentence:
Eleanor and Park meets The Mindy Project!
Thanks Sandhya! If you would like to get to know Sandhya better, her bio is right below. You can also check her out on twitter and her website, which are listed below!
Sandhya Menon is the author of the upcoming YA rom-com WHEN DIMPLE MET RISHI (S&S, May 2017). She was born and raised in India on a steady diet of Bollywood movies and street food. She pretty much blames this upbringing for her obsession with happily-ever-afters, bad dance moves, and pani puri.
Sandhya currently lives in Colorado, where she’s on a mission to (gently) coerce her husband, son, and daughter to watch all 3,220 Bollywood movies she claims as her favorite.